IBANEZ BTB846CBL DETAILS
The Ibanez BTB846 6-string bass is one of those rare beauties that can call to you from across the room and demand to be played.
Its poplar burl top looks like something you'd see in a collector's magazine, but the price tag doesn't. Nonetheless, once you get your hands on the BTB846's comfortably contoured multilayer body, feel the power of the neck-through construction, and hear the electronics in action, you'll know how much you lucked out by picking up this special bass.
A quick overview reveals a layered ash-over-okoume wing design beneath the poplar burl top, with a solid 5-piece maple and walnut neck running the full length of the instrument. Add a 6-piece Mono-rail V bridge to the mix, and you have sustain for days with ideal string-to-string isolation. This lends extra clarity to the BTB846's Bartolini BH2 dual-coil pickups, and when you add in the 3-band active EQ, you'll have no trouble crafting the bass tones you love. Top it off with top-shelf touches like a stainless steel zero-fret and a locking output jack, and you have a bass with looks only eclipsed by playability.
Bartolini BH2 pickups deliver full and balanced tone
Bartolini BH2 pickups maintain a superb balance between the BTB846's clarity and depth. They provide complexity and warmth in the mids and low-end depth that won't wash out. Long-blade pole pieces allow these dual-coil pickups to offer hum-free single-coil-style character and consistency.
When you want to sculpt your BTB846's tone, just reach for the 3-band EQ. This active equalizer delivers wide frequency-range adjustments on each band. There's also a 3-way midrange switch that lets you define your instrument's presence. Whether you want round R&B throb or responsive thumb-technique punch, the BTB846 delivers.
Neck-through design ensures exceptional sustain
You can trace the history of the neck-through design all the way back to Les Paul's famous 1941 "The Log" solidbody guitar prototype or to Rickenbacker, who gave us the modern version in 1956. Either way, generations of innovators and top-tier manufacturers have relied on neck-through designs for superior sustain.
Pick up an Ibanez BTB846, and you'll experience everything neck-through construction has to offer. You can feel the BTB846 vibrate clear through its ultra-stable 5-piece maple and walnut neck, right down to the strap peg. The extended sustain doesn't just add body to your tone, it provides greater tonal balance that you'll hear in every note you play.
Mono-rail V bridge enhances definition and sustain
Premium tonewoods are always a treat. But nothing is as important as the way an instrument performs. Many players overlook the importance of the bridge, but not Ibanez. That's why Ibanez selected a top-quality Mono-rail V bridge for the BTB846.
Unlike single-body bridges, each Mono-rail V saddle is completely separate from the others. This does two things for you. First, since they aren't connected, the saddles create minimal sympathetic vibration. This prevents unused strings from ringing. Second, each saddle is double anchored, allowing energy to transfer efficiently between the string and the body. As a result, you can expect astonishing clarity and sustain from your BTB846.
- Boutique-style 6-string bass delivers top-shelf appointments for an off-the-shelf price
- Tonewoods include a 5-piece maple and walnut neck with okoume-backed ash wings
- Stunning poplar burl top adds an extra dash of class and style to an already amazing bass
- Neck-through construction provides exceptional stability and ensures a high level of sustain
- Jatoba fretboard fitted with precision medium stainless steel frets, including a zero-fret nut
- 6-piece Mono-rail V bridge ensures complete string isolation and maximum sustain per string
- Bartolini BH2 dual-coil pickups deliver clear and open mids with deep and punchy lows
- Shape your tone with an active 3-band EQ, complete with 3-way midrange switch for added versatility
- Body Shape: Standard BTB
- Left-/Right-handed: Right-handed
- Number of Strings: 6
- Color: Cerulean Blue Burst
- Body Material: Ash/Okoume body, Poplar Burl top
- Body Finish: Satin Polyurethane
- Neck Material: 5-Piece Maple/Walnut
- Neck Shape: BTB6
- Radius: 37.4"
- Fingerboard Material: Jatoba
- Fingerboard Inlay: Abalone Dots
- Number of Frets: 24 (plus zero fret), Medium Stainless Steel
- Scale Length: 35"
- Nut Width: 2.12"
- Nut Material: Plastic
- Bridge/Tailpiece: MR5 Tuners: Ibanez Machine Heads
- Neck Pickup: Bartolini BH2 Humbucker
- Bridge Pickup: Bartolini BH2 Humbucker Controls: 1 x master volume, 1 x balancer, 3-band Active EQ, 3-way toggle mid frequency switch
- Strings: .032-.130
The Ash and Okoume winged body feature a warm tone with rich resonance and superior sonic attack.