A look at the features
The key features of the mixer include:
- A range of effect controls – You can control up to 57 effects in Serato DJ Pro. Worth noting, though – this number includes paid expansion packs.
- 8 Performance Pads – There are four Performance Pads included per channel, allowing you to take advantage of control pad modes like Sample, Scratch Bank, and Hot Cue.
- The Magvel Fader Pro and Feeling Adjust – similar to many of the other mixers we’ve seen from the company, the DJM-S5 has the company’s flagship MFP. Paired with it comes the Feeling Adjust feature, which gives you the ability to adjust your crossfader resistance for each channel.
- Scratch Cutter – a new feature from Pioneer DJ is the Scratch Cutter, which lets you choose from six cutting patterns (emulating a transformer scratch in time with the beat of the other track) and apply them to your track in time with it – without crossfader movement.
- Crossfader Hot Cut – another new feature here is the Crossfader Hot Cut, which gives artists the opportunity to use the crossfader to create a scratch-like sound.
MAGVEL FADER PRO crossfader
Find your perfect scratch feeling with the popular MAGVEL FADER PRO crossfader, which features Feeling Adjust so you can tweak the “weight” and get the level of resistance you like best. You can be confident in the fader’s robust design too; the knob mounting axis is highly rigid in the vertical direction so it can handle energetic scratch techniques.
Use the 2 large effect levers to control up to 57 effects in Serato DJ Pro (including paid Expansion Packs). The levers are the same size as those on the flagship DJM-S11 and you can hold them down or release them to turn the effect on / off, or lock them on so your hands are free to browse and scratch tracks while the effect is still applied. There are also 2 banks where you can save effects, giving you quick access to your favourites.
Get creative and experiment with 13 pad modes including Hot Cue and Sampler. Using the 4 Performance Pads on each deck, which measure 20.6 mm x 20.6 mm, you can trigger samples and find all kinds of new ways to “remix” your tracks live and add texture to the music.
Start scratching straight away – even if you’ve never tried before. Simply choose one of the 6 cutting patterns and turn on the Scratch Cutter function with the effects lever, then move the control vinyl or jog wheel (when using DVS control) forward and backward on the deck and the DJM-S5 will do the rest. The mixer applies a cutting effect to the music in perfect time, emulating the popular transformer scratch technique without you moving the crossfader. This feature offers a great way to start learning to scratch; you can concentrate on getting your timing right with the control vinyl before moving on to the more challenging technique of using the crossfader.
Crossfader Hot Cue
Turn on the Crossfader Hot Cue feature and you can quickly move the crossfader to create scratch-like sounds with a sample or track. Every time you move the fader away from the edge, the track or sample on the relevant deck plays from the most recent Hot Cue point. So, you can quickly repeat the action to rapidly play the Hot Cue in the rhythm you use to move the crossfader – creating a scratch-like sound without the need to move the control vinyl on the deck.
USB bus power and standalone mixer versatility
The DJM-S5 is the first-ever Pioneer DJ mixer that you can power via the USB connection to your computer. Enjoy the extra flexibility this offers and, if you use portable turntables, the freedom to practice and perform literally anywhere you can carry your decks to: your garden, a park, or even the beach. It works as a standalone mixer too, so you can play music from a variety of sources such as analog vinyl records. And even though the mixer is USB powered, it produces a wide-ranging bright sound that brings out the best of all music genres.
Serato DJ Pro
Simply plug the DJM-S5 into a PC / Mac running the Serato DJ Pro application and you can use the software for free, including a host of professional performance features.
The mixer offers free support for Serato DVS, so you can use analog turntables with control vinyl or DJ players to play and scratch the tracks in your Serato crates.
Stream your set easily
There’s no need for external equipment such as a soundcard if you’re streaming your set and want to add speech or vocals to your performance. All sounds are sent to the stream via Serato DJ Pro.